Toronto’s own St. Lawrence Market has been named #1 in National Geographics Top 10 Food Markets.
So proud for my home city to be recognized world wide for something quite delicious and sustainable.
So ashamed that I have only been there a handful of times. But I must agree with the article – it is the freshest pick of meats, cheese, fruits and vegetables I have tasted, and the variety is outstanding:
St. Lawrence, Toronto, Canada
This farmers market emporium has operated since 1803, when it cohabited with Toronto’s city hall. Redeveloped between the 1970s and 1990s after long neglect, the area’s mix of homes and businesses showcases urban regeneration. More than 120 retailers dispense everything from seafood to coffee.
Planning: The market is in Toronto’s old town; Saturday is market day.
The other 9, you ask?
- Union Square Greenmarket, New York City
- Castries Market, St. Lucia
- Ver-o-Peso, Belem, Brazil
- Mercado Central, Santiago, Chile
- Kreta Ayer Wet Market, Singapore
- Kauppatori, Helsinki, Finland
- La Vucciria, Palermo, Italy
- Cours Saleya, Nice, France
- Borough Market, London, England
Time to get up early this Saturday and head down to the market. Such a gorgeous area of the city!