Welcome to South African cuisine – this sounds delicious and I cannot wait to try it out!
4 to 6 servings
- Stewing mutton or lamb, cut into cubes — 1 1/2 pounds
- Oil — 3 tablespoons
- Onion, chopped — 1
- Seasonings (see variations) — to taste
- Water or white wine — 1/2 cup
- Vegetables (see variations) — 1 pound
- Potatoes, cubed — 3
- Salt and pepper — to taste
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high flame. Add the mutton or lamb in batches and brown well. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and desired seasonings to the pot and saute until the onions are cooked down and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add back the browned meat and pour in the water or wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to very low, cover tightly, and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the desired vegetables, potatoes, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium and return to a boil. The reduce heat to low again, cover and simmer for another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with rice or slices of hearty bread.
- Savory Saturday – Chilean Sea Bass (wistfullywandering.wordpress.com)
- Savory Saturday – Tanzania (wistfullywandering.wordpress.com)