I’m in autumn mode, and I’m craving a nice fall dish that will help me celebrate my favorite season. And I sure love me a good chili in the fall…
Welcome to pumpkin AND chili heaven!
4 cups water
1 (15-ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) kidney beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can pureed pumpkin
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup uncooked bulgur
1 cup chopped Serrano chili pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
Place all ingredients in a large saucepan, stir well to combine, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-low and simmer, covered, 35 minutes. Serve warm.
- Savory Saturday: Omani Cuisine (wistfullywandering.wordpress.com)
This weekend was quite a busy time, filled with many friends, (not family – they happened to be in Paris!) and a TON of food.
I discovered a new recipe that I will try again next year for Thanksgiving:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted raw shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 tsp pumpkin-pie spice
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, stir flour with sugar, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin spice, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs with pumpkin purée, butter and vanilla extract. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Shape into 2 long, flat logs, about 2 in. wide and 1/2 in. thick. (Dough will rise as it bakes.) Sprinkle coarse sugar on top of logs, pressing gently so it adheres. Bake for 30 min, until centres are firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 min. Reduce oven temperature to 275F. Using a serrated knife, cut logs into 1/2-in. pieces. Place cut-side down on the baking sheet and bake an additional 35 min. Cool completely on a rack.
I am not a big dessert fan, but geez, I love my biscotti! Time to get out my jogging pants!!