Wow, it’s hot here in Toronto today. 31, but feels like 39 with the humidex. Phew. Summer has arrived! As I glance over at my dog, enjoying the sun on my balcony, I notice how much he is panting away. Same thing with me, I am seriously thinking about my air conditioner right now. But I just can’t do it. That isn’t fair. I need to enjoy this amazing day, after that long winter we just had.
So as I enjoy this scorching hot day, I need to think of ways to stay cool and calm. These tips also help me out when I am on my various travels, like when I went to both Morocco and Hawaii during their hottest seasons (August).
1. Grab a cool drink – Whether it’s water, a glass of chilled white wine, or the classic lemonade drink, cold liquid will do the trick.
Here is a simple lemonade recipe that I like to use, if you are at home or packing for a picnic:
1 cup sugar
1 cup lemon juice
4 cups cold water
Mix well! Add frozen strawberries as the ice cubes!
2. Wear something lose and/or light. When I am on my travels, I really enjoy bringing sundresses along. They are easy to just slip on and I don’t have to worry about what I need to pair with them. They are also easy to pack and don’t take up much room.
Spanish Steps - Rome, Italy in 50 degree weather
3. I really like to take an empty spray bottle along and slip it in my purse to give myself fresh spritzes of water throughout the day.
About to fill this up - overlooking my balcony on this scorcher of a day
4. Do all your touring in the morning and evening. Try to stay indoors, or visit air conditioned museums in the middle of the day, when it is the hottest. If it is just a shame to be indoors while on vacation, try a beach or a pool. Frequent dips keep me cool! BUT I also like to be sun savvy – wear your waterproof sunscreen! Another thing that we did in Italy was to find the side of the road that was shaded and only walk on that side, out of the sun.
I'm ready to jump in. Los Cabos, Mexico
5. Relax, walk slowly, enjoy the sights, sounds and sun at a leisurely pace!